Thursday, November 27, 2014 Register  
  Search

You must be logged in to post and reply to messages.  If you have not registered for this site, please do so by clicking here.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsBeer talkBeer talkBest places to buy beer in CalgaryBest places to buy beer in Calgary
Previous

Next
New Post
1/25/2008 12:50 PM

I think it would be helpful to start a thread on the best places to buy beer in Calgary. 

If you are like me and like to drink something other than Molson Canadian or Labatt's Light, finding good craft-brews and imports can be difficult in Calgary.  So, what are your top three liquor stores for finding good beers?

Here are mine (in no particular order):

New Post
1/25/2008 1:28 PM

They have some interesting stuff here too:

The Cellar (it's downtown)

- Corey

New Post
1/26/2008 8:02 PM

Howdy,

I like Richmond Rd Coop and Higlhander Liquor store (29th st and Richmond rd) too. I wish I could get to willow park and kensignton more, but just too far during the day. If i want anything form paddock wood or belgians, I'll go to willow park and for lagunitas to kensington

i wish we could get more pac nw micro brews here ( ie. full sail, deschutes, hales etc.)

tom

New Post
1/27/2008 6:53 PM

I love Willow Park even if it is quite a distance to travel, Brian and I visited  Dave on Wednsday and was able to secure a discount with him on beer purchases for card holding club members(available at next meeting). So from now on if you present your CTYW membership card they will discount your beer purchase( 6% above there wholsale cost or approx. 15% off) We also talked to to Mike at Kensington Market and should be getting a discount there also, to be announced later. Mike said they are expecting a new shipment soon which they will have the only one's in the city( think Belgium) These are my 2 favorite stores in the city, but I also happenend into th CO-OP Liquor down town on the weekend, located on11th SW and was quite impressed at there selection. Cheers! Dave

New Post
1/28/2008 3:28 PM

Wow -- that's great!  That Willow Park discount should pay for my annual membership alone! 

Let me know if I should be adding them as a sponsor on our website.

New Post
1/30/2008 10:17 AM

Do any of these places sell beer in individual bottles ? 

There is a great beer store in Lethbridge that does.  Even the Lethbridge Superstore sells some beer in individual bottles.

EF.

New Post
1/30/2008 1:08 PM

Yes, you can by some singles at all stores, especially imports and American craft-brews.  The singles tend to be the more expensive beers, though.  The more common ones often only come in 6 packs.

New Post
3/25/2008 4:58 PM

I must say i was very impressed with Willow Park when I visted . I understand that they had a huge range of Scotch which attracted our Calgary friends. Good range of UK and Belgians, was hoping for a bigger range of distincitve local and US microbrews ( would kill for some Dogfish Head - non-existent here). Tree Brewing's Hop Head Ale remains in my memory. Just too early for the Edmonton Barley Wine. Oh yes- price was excellent

New Post
12/2/2009 6:43 PM

My buddy lives in Evanston (North Central) and says the Co-op liquor store there has lots of unusual beers that can't be found elsewhere.

Crowfoot liquor store (formerly ALCB) is large, but I haven't been there in a while.

New Post
12/4/2009 7:32 PM

To update this thread, I had to hunt around all over town to buy very specific beers that were listed in the BJCP Style Guidelines when we ran the beer judging course.  I quickly learned who had the best selection in town.  Far and away, the best two stores in Calgary were:

• Willow Park Wines & Spirits (south location @ 10801 Bonaventure Dr SE - http://www.willowpark.net/)
  • Dalhousie Coop Liquor Store (Shaganappi Trail and Dalhousie Drive near Crowchild Trail)

Kensington Wine Market easily wins honourable mention -- they are a great store as well.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsBeer talkBeer talkBest places to buy beer in CalgaryBest places to buy beer in Calgary

Need a subscription to BYO?

Copyright 2007 - 2013 by Cowtown Yeast Wranglers
 Terms Of Use | Privacy Statement
Home  |  About  |  Competitions  |  Forums